You all know that I’m a skincare obsessed and how much I love to take proper care of my skin. Not only because I want it to be healthy and radiant, but also because the fact of following a skincare routine is like a therapy of self-love and time for yourself.
Today I wanted to talk about how to create a good skincare routine and give you the basic guidelines so you can create your own one. Obviously, I’m not a dermatologist, but due to many years spent learning as much as I could about skincare, I feel like I can give you some advice I got from my own experience and from other experts I’ve read.
DON’T USE A THOUSAND PRODUCTS
I wanted to start making this statement because I’ve seen too many people, celebrities and influencers showing their neverending skincare routines and encouraging other people to do so. Of course, it’s your skin and you can do whatever you want with it, but I just wanted to say you DON’T have to do a thousand steps in order to have a good and effective skincare routine. A truly good skincare routine is all about using the right products in the right order and that’s it. Also, (REALLY IMPORTANT) I would never recommend to use many products and do many steps to someone with sensitive skin, since you want to avoid exposing your face to so many different ingredients to prevent irritation and even a chemical burn.
THE BASIC STEPS
Now that I’ve clarified that a skincare routine shouldn’t be super long and why, I’ll proceed to give you the few basic steps that a good skincare routine should have and from there you can add more steps if you want to.
Also, it’s really important to differentiate morning and evening skincare routines, since there are products that you should avoid in the morning and get all the benefits from them during the night.
- Cleanse: Always start your skincare routine by cleansing your face. In case you’re wearing makeup, make sure you double cleanse to get rid of all the products before you proceed to apply anything else.
- Exfoliate (NIGHT): Really important to remove any first on your face. Soon I’ll be writing another post exclusively talking about the importance and different types of exfoliation. You should only do this at night since your skin will always be much more sensitive and you want to avoid the sun as much as possible. Also, your skin recovers throughout the night, so that’s why it’s the best time to do so.
- Serum (optional): This is an optional step but I really recommend you to find one or two good serums with ingredients that really help you with your skin concerns. I recommend you to use them more in your evening routine since some of them can contain exfoliating ingredients and also because your skin will absorb the benefits way more during nighttime.
- Moisturiser: Doesn’t really matter if you have oily skin. Everybody should use a moisturiser to take proper care of their moisture barrier. This step is key to get healthy skin.
- SPF (MORNING): I will never get tired of repeating to everyone the importance of wearing SPF. The sun is really bad for your skin and you can prevent most of its damage by using SPF every single morning and reapplying throughout the day.
DOESN’T NEED TO BE EXPENSIVE
Soon I’ll be writing another post talking about the truth of skincare brands and everything behind them, but let me say that skincare is not expensive. Brands get huge profits from selling their products, but you can always find brands with great ingredients that are not that pricey.
Do you have a skincare routine? What would you like me to talk about next (skincare related)? Definitely tell me so in the comments down below and I’ll be glad to read!
Love and lipstick ❤
Follow @thegoldlipstick on Instagram